Focus Area One : Essential 4.1
AVID students must be enrolled in a rigorous course of study that will enable them to meet requirements for university enrollment.
Create an action plan of interventions with the Site Team to increase the passing rate of AVID students in their content area classes.
1)After School Tutoring Monitoring
1) Student Tracker Forms
2) Grade Checks every week with reflective piece.
1) Students will access aeries every week, if they have D/F they will complete additional reflective piece.
3) D/F students on Academic probation
must meet with their counselor in the 2nd and 5th triad.
1) Intervention Codes so that counselors and avid elective teachers can enter intervention grade meetings. Also needed would be D/F query reports for 2nd and 5th triad.
4) WICOR Strategies school-wide focus
1) Admin will make it a school wide focus, staff development, with WICOR walkthroughs integration into observation forms. AVID department ambassador (site team member) works with department on WICOR focus of the triad, as well as the use of a WICOR passport and monthy Staff Development breakout sessions to collect WICOR stamps and letters.
Writing is . . . A learning tool A personal/public communication tool A record of thinking.
Cornell Notes, Learning Logs, Process Writing, Quick writes and reflections, Peer Evaluation.
Inquiry is . . . Uncovering one’s understanding Asking critical questions Engaging in thinking, learning, & discussion.
Skilled questioning techniques, Tutorials, Costa’s level of questioning, Socratic Seminars, Investigations.
Collaboration is . . . Teamwork with shared responsibility Sharing of ideas, info, & opinions Formal/informal discussion.
Group Activities and Projects, Tutorials, Philosophical Chairs, Socratic Seminars.
Organization is . . . Managing materials Planning & prioritizing Strategically controlling your learning responsibly.
BINDERS, CALENDARS, PLANNERS, AGENDAS, GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS, STUDY GROUPS, FOCUSED NOTE TAKING, SMART GOALS.
Reading is . . . Gaining meaning, understanding, & knowledge from print & other media Purpose-driven Interactive.
Deep Reading Strategies such as: SQ3R, Mark the Text, Note Taking, Graphic Organizers, Vocabulary, Summarizing, Reciprocal teaching.
Teachers who have recieved their on-site WICOR Certificate- Meaning they earned all 5 letters- as evidence by admin observation and walk-through.
Ayotte - History
Simpson - English
Tina Porter - English
Meghan Dudley - Math
Justine Abril - History
Tonya Brady - English
Anne Rizzacasa - Science
Jill Sugita - Math
Bianca Torres - Science